Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Armor of God Part 1

Tonight I want to introduce a new series on the armor of God. This is a topic I have always found interesting and am looking forward to studying further. For tonight, however, I will just give a brief introduction.

The portion of scripture this is coming from is Ephesians 6:10-18 that says...
10Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.11Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places.13Therefore take to yourselves the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.14Therefore stand, having your loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness15and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.16Above all, take the shield of faith, with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God,18praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching to this very thing with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

I will be going into each of these peaces of armor as I progress though this portion of scripture, but let me first point out that the only offensive weapon that Paul tells us about is the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. I have posted this in the Modern King James Version, however, I like the way God's Word translation puts this when it says Pray in the Spirit in every situation. Use every kind of prayer and request there is. For the same reason be alert. use every kind of effort and make every kind of request for all of God's people.

Wow. Do you get the idea here? God wants us to ask. He wants us to pray. He wants us to ask his opinion. There is never anything too small or too big for God. Most people don't have a problem asking God for big things except when they talk themselves out of it thinking that they are not good enough or that it more than they deserve. Well, my bible tells me that God will give me immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine(Eph 3:20). But I digress on this until I get to this part of the scripture.

The other point that I want to make here is that every weapon found here covers the front and not one of them covers our rear ends. We are not supposed to run away from our problems and opposition but we are to run toward it fully equipped with the armor of God.

I also look at the end of verse 13 and the beginning of verse 14. I have been taught that when you see a word repeated, it means emphasis in the same way that we would yell something or use an exclamation point or all capital letters. "having done all to stand. Therefore STAND!". In other words, if you are struggling, keep struggling. Fighting? Keep fighting! While my pastor didn't coin the phrase, I have heard him say "When you are going through hell, don't stop. And catch a little fire on your way out.

Again, this is a very, very brief introduction and I look forward to digging deep into this portion of scripture. Come with me as we journey together and find what truth's we can draw out.

No comments:

Post a Comment